Post Christmas Blues

9:51 PM

I find myself looking forward to Christmas around July of each year. Such anticipation allows for great disappointment when Christmas ends. This year, I decided to look forward to the new year and all the great things to come rather than the holiday season passing.


I spent time with family while I was still at home, visiting my grandmother, shopping with my mom, and dinner with my dad the day after Christmas. I enjoyed cooking for my family and just having some lazy days to myself. School doesn't leave me much time to read for pleasure, so I did a lot of that. I finished Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Megyn Kelly's book, Settle for More, and Allie Brosh's Hyperbole and a Half. (I have also begun The Diviners by Libba Bray and have made the resolution to do more print reading--I already listen to audiobooks when I am in the car.)

Reading really made me feel a bit more like myself, so I started to do some more things I don't often get to. I started making smoothies to start the day, got my car detailed, and even took the time to self tan. I watched a lot of Grey's Anatomy and bought some new school supplies to help motivate me for the upcoming semester. 

One thing I have always done when taking time for myself is to go all out on my makeup, but I felt no urge to do so during this break. I think this is a sign of how much I have changed over the past few years. There was a time when I would refuse to go out with no makeup on, and if I had it my way I would spend a full hour each day obsessing over it. I still love to watch tutorials and enjoy wearing makeup, but at this point in my life, I don't feel the need to use it. I have gained so much more confidence and have a new perspective on what things in life are actually important. 

Once I returned, I cleaned my apartment a bit and put away all of my new Christmas goodies. I made up for all my missed snuggles with my kitty, Potter, and watched a lot of Netflix. For New Year's Eve, I slept late for the first time in what felt like the whole year, drank some coffee, and went to Jurassic Quest with Stafford. We were the only people at the event without small children, so we made up for it by acting like said children. We also hung out at a local brewery and had an awesome pizza date instead of actually going out to celebrate. Before the clock struck 12, we finished the end of the first season of Westworld (by the way it's pretty great) and a bottle of champagne. 

For New Years, we fought the crowd and shopped the Dillard's sale. We found a few things, but they definitely didn't justify the time we spent in line. I ran some errands and watched some more Netflix before cooking New Year's dinner. Stafford had never heard of eating cornbread, cabbage, and black-eyed peas for new years, so I had to fix some up to ensure his health, wealth, and luck. It wasn't the most exciting New Year's Day, but if the rest of the year went just like it, I wouldn't be too sad. 









You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts